You do everything possible to keep your family safe and sound. Sometimes, however, the danger actually lives in your home. Basement mold is commonly found in homes all over the area. Even the cleanest, most pristine homes may be hiding a dark, moldy secret deep within the walls.

Dangers of Mold in Your Home

There are many concerns with having mold in your home. Mold spores may have a negative effect on your family’s health in many ways, including:

 

  1. Respiratory ailments, including wheezing and asthma.
  2. Increased allergies.
  3. Chronic headaches.
  4. Sinus infections and an increase in cold/flu symptoms.
  5. Neurological symptoms, such as vertigo, numbness, tingling, and memory loss.

 

If you find mold in your home, it’s important to treat it right away.

 

Checking for Mold in the Basement

Mold likes to hide in dark, moist environments. Basements are often a prime place for mold spores to grow and multiply. If your basement has standing water, drainage issues, or seeping cracks, you are at a higher risk for finding mold.

Basement mold likes to hide in many locations. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the ceilings, corners, and floor for mold. It can also grow on insulation, ducts, vents, and even furniture. Mold can’t always be easily spotted, but the presence of a musty odor is often a good sign of a mold problem.

If you suspect mold but cannot locate it, call in a professional to perform a mold test. An experienced technician will not only be able to locate any mold in your basement, but they can also tell you what type of mold you have and the extent of the damage.

Treating Mold in the Basement

If mold is discovered, then it needs to be remedied right away. Removing basement mold on your own can be very dangerous. Be sure to cover your face and keep the room ventilated to avoid inhaling any mold spores.

Small patches of mold can be cleaned up with a solution made out of bleach and water. Simply wipe down any hard surfaces with this solution and allow to dry. Porous surfaces and upholstered furniture may not be easily cleaned, and you find it’s usually easier to simply discard these items.

If your mold problem is larger, then it’s best to hire a professional technician to treat the problem. They will disinfect the entire area, and once they are done, your basement will be completely clear of mold. Be sure to keep your basement free of moisture to avoid another mold problem in the future.

Comments 0

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.