Keeping your basement dry is essential because a moisture-free basement helps prevent problems such as the growth of mold. A moisture-free basement also helps prevent the structural damages that occur as a result of high humidity in buildings. Basement waterproofing is one of the best ways of ensuring that your basement stays dry.
Basement waterproofing entails using materials and techniques that help prevent water from seeping into a building’s basement. Since the aim of basement waterproofing is to stop water from leaking into the basement, the methods used focus on sealing the exterior and interior sections of the basement wall and floor. Below are three basement waterproofing methods and their pros and cons.
Interior basement waterproofing entails diverting water from the basement towards the sump pump for pumping away. In addition to sealing the interior surfaces of the basement walls, interior waterproofing also involves opening the basement floor and installing drains that help remove any water that accumulates in the basement.
- The method is effective at reducing hydrostatic pressure at the base of the basement.
- It is an inexpensive waterproofing method.
- It does not adequately address the problem of water leaking into the basement through the walls.
- Does not address the problem of high humidity in the basement
- Total Excavation and Sealing of the Exterior Walls
A backhoe is used to dig the area around the exterior section of the foundation. The foundation wall is exposed and sealed to prevent water from seeping into the basement. Drainage installations are also repaired to avoid the accumulation of water near the foundation.
- Prevents seepage of water into the basement and helps address the issue of high humidity.
- Ensures that the area around the basement has good drainage.
- The total excavation waterproofing method is highly labor-intensive
- Excavation damages the landscape near the basement area.
- Use of the Multi-Step Method
The multi-step method uses a combination of interior waterproofing and total excavation methods. That is, in addition to waterproofing the interior of the basement, the basement’s exterior walls are also repaired for cracks and sealed to prevent water seepage. Drainage installations around the basement are also improved.
- The multi-step method is effective at addressing all the water and moisture problems that basements are exposed to.
- Improved drainage protects basement walls from further damage.
- The high cost of doing the work.
- Damage to the landscape due to excavation.
Contact the professionals at Ohio State Waterproofing today! (330) 467-1055
Ohio State Waterproofing has provided quality service with over 80,000 successful waterproofing and foundation repair installations and satisfied customers since our inception in 1978.
Ohio State Waterproofing’s philosophy for success is to provide honest, courteous and guaranteed service to every customer. Our reputation reflects this. Our well-trained waterproofing technicians are dedicated to complete customer satisfaction. This is achieved through fast, efficient processes as well as teamwork throughout this organization. You will always find a friendly representative willing to meet your needs at Ohio State Waterproofing.
We are a full service company that handles problems ranging from patching cracks to rebuilding basements. In addition, we hold three patents related to waterproofing that make us unique in the industry. These patents and our experience allow us to be able to do what every other waterproofer can do, but no one else can do what we do.
We are actively involved in the industry and community, including the National Association of Waterproofing Contractors, BHA, NARI, NAHB, NHIA, the BIA, the FHA and a number of consumer advocacy groups, as well as playing leading roles in a number of charitable functions.
But, most importantly, our highest degree of praise comes from the thousands of referrals we get from satisfied customers. Together they’ve made us a leader in the basement waterproofing and foundation repair industry.